Friday, July 20, 2012

The Lust Lizard of Melancholy Cove

I swear I didn't make up that title. I wish I had. Author Christopher Moore definitely has cornered the market on "intriguing book titles" with this one, (running neck and neck with Island of the Sequined Love Nun in the race for my personal all time "Best Title" award).

I bought the book simply because the title not only made me raise an eyebrow, but crack a smile. It's a bit pricier than a lot of other Kindle books, but, how do you put a price on a grin?  I don't show a lot of emotion while I'm reading. It's a rare book that makes me smile as I flip pages much less before I even flip the first one. I started smiling at the title...and didn't stop until I finished. There were even, wait for it, yes, a few not only chuckle-moments but a couple of actual LOLs. Yep. Me, laughing out loud while reading a book. I couldn't believe it either. Carl Hiassen describes Chris Moore as "A very sick man, in the very best sense of the word." I couldn't have said that better either.

Click HERE to purchase
Amazon describes the book like this: The town psychiatrist has decided to switch everybody in Pine Cove, California, from their normal antidepressants to placebos, so naturally—well, to be accurate, artificially—business is booming at the local blues bar. Trouble is, those lonely slide-guitar notes have also attracted a colossal sea beast named Steve with, shall we say, a thing for explosive oil tanker trucks. Suddenly, morose Pine Cove turns libidinous and is hit by a mysterious crime wave, and a beleaguered constable has to fight off his own gonzo appetites to find out what's wrong and what, if anything, to do about it.

I could wax poetic about all sorts of metaphors and imagery and other literary goop phrases, but to cut to the chase ... I highly recommend this book. I enjoyed reading it more than any other book I've cracked open (or turned on) in a very long time. Moore has an excellent writing style, he came up with yet another outrageous premise and once again unforgettable characters. There's a monster, people getting eaten by said monster, there's stuff blowing up, there's people getting shot, quite a bit of weed smokin' and a heck of a lot of people finding what they didn't know they've been looking for their whole lives.

All in all, it truly fits the time-worn phrase of "rollicking tale." Pure enjoyment. The reason I read.

1 comment: